Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Thesis Statement


       My artistic practice is based on the exploration of female experience regarding sexuality and the development of gender identity. Turning the camera on myself, I capture expressive emotions through candid moments. These portraits allow me to explore the notions of desire and disgust, and question power dynamics within relationships. Concurrently, the work explains how we relate to domestic spaces by painting objects and scenes from my bedroom. Bringing the viewer directly into the space in which I inhabit creates a very personal, open dialogue. Through this practice, I am interested in understanding the need to be desired and the anxiety that comes with intimacy and young adulthood.
Switching between many different media including oil, acrylic, watercolour and pastel, I allow myself to freely explore these experiences and find that each respective medium gives different possibilities for interpretation. My work is quite visceral and a visual tension is often created through colour, line and the space the figure occupies.

No comments:

Post a Comment